The Brandenburger Tor at the end of Unter den Linden became the symbol of reunited Germany and Berlin after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Between 1961-1989 the Berlin Wall surrounded the Brandenburger Tor. East Berlin was on one side – a couple of meters further was West Berlin. It was quite tragic, or even ironic, especially because the Brandenburger Tor had originally been the representation of triumph.
The oldest gate of Berlin was built in 1788. The Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm II gave orders to build the Brandenburger Tor after he defeated the Dutch Republic. On top of the 26 meter high gate are the spoils of war shown: the quadriga, a wagon with two wheels ad four horses.
Victory at Brandenburger Tor
The French emperor Napoleon stole the quadriga in 1806. It took Germany eight years to recover the quadriga in Paris and to safely return it to Berlin. Since then the goddess Victoria carries a staff with a Prussian eagle and an iron cross with a laurel wreath. It’s not difficult to imagine how happy the Germans were that the Berlin Wall no longer divided this gate of triumph.
At the 22nd of December 1989 the Brandenburger Tor was opened again. To commemorate the unification many important speeches are held at the Brandenburger Tor. For example American president Barrack Obama held his Berlin speech at the Brandenburger Tor. The 25 year fall of the Berlin Wall was also held at the gate. And the gate is represented at Germans 50 euro cent. But the Brandenburger Tor is also a good party place. During Silvester the biggest party’s are held here.
Nearby is Hotel Adlon, a hotel where a lot of celebrities stayed. It was also the spot where Michael Jackson dangled his newborn out of a window.
Build after defeating Dutch Republic
Oldest Berlin gate
Quadriga taken by Napoleon (1806)
Former border West East Berlin